There are thousands of recipes for Matzo Ball Soup, but this one, originating in New York, is incredibly special and utterly delicious.
New York Matzo Ball Soup
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Serves: 6 servings (each 1 1/4 Cups)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 Cup unflavored seltzer
- 2/3 Cup matzo meal
- 2 Tablespoons parsley; minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt; or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 1/4 Cups chicken stock or low sodium chicken broth
- Mix 4 egg whites, the egg and oil, then whisk in the seltzer. Add the matzo meal, 1 Tablespoon of the parsley, the salt, and pepper, stirring until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While the matzo mixture chills, half-fill a large saucepan with cold water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Using your hands, roll the matzo mixture into 1-inch balls (about 22 pieces) and drop them into the boiling water. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes or just until the matzo balls are cooked through.
- In another large saucepan, bring the stock to a boil over high heat, adding additional salt to taste if you wish.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer several matzo balls from the boiling water to each soup bowl, then ladle over the hot stock.
- Garnish with the remaining 1 Tablespoon of parsley, equally divided.