New Mexico Style Barbecue Sauce
Author: Bobby Flay
Recipe type: Barbecue
Serves: 5 Cups
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium red onion; finely diced
- 1 garlic clove; finely diced
- 6 plum tomatoes; coarsely diced
- 1/4 Cup Ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon Pasilla chile powder
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat the butter and sweat the onion and garlic until translucent. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Puree the mixture in a food processor, pour into a bowl, and allow to cool at room temperature. Will keep for 1 week or several months frozen.
- This recipe yields about 5 cups of sauce.