Navajo Green Chili
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Pork
- 3 pounds pork shoulder trimmed of fat, and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 3 Tablespoons bacon grease
- 1/3 Cup flour
- 3 medium onions; coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic (or more), minced
- 32 ounces canned whole green chilis cut into 1/4 inch bits
- 2 Cups stewed tomatoes
- 6 ounces canned tomato paste
- 3 Cups water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried, ground Mexican oregano
- Melt bacon grease in a skillet over med-high heat. Put flour into a paper bag and shake the meat with the flour to coat meat.
- Add the meat to the bacon grease a little at a time and brown well and evenly.
- Remove the meat to a 5 Quart Dutch oven. Add the onions and garlic to the skillet and saute until transluscent.
- Add these to the pork in the pot.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, bring pot to a boil, and keep stirring every 2-3 minutes.
- When boiling lower heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Taste, adjust seasonings as per personal taste, and cook for 30 minutes more.