Mussels Steamed in White Wine with Garlic and Tomatoes
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Appetizers
- 1/2 Cup white wine
- 1/2 Cup diced tomato
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 Cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
- 4 links spicy Italian sausage
- 1/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds mussels; washed and debearded
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- In a small saute pan over medium-high heat, sear sausages well, about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat, and as soon as they are cool enough to handle, cut them into small chunks and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add mussels, and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Add garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, for another minute.
- Add wine, tomato, sausages and salt and pepper to taste. Cover, and cook until all mussels are wide open, about 10 minutes. (Discard any mussels that do not open.)
Sprinkle with parsley, and serve, accompanied by crusty bread for dipping.