Mussel Fritters with Salsa
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Appetizers
- 400 grams kumera (sweet potato); boiled then peeled and sliced
- 1/2 red and 1/2 green chile; seeded and chopped
- 1 small red onion; peeled and sliced
- 20 milliliters fresh lime juice
- 2 nashi; core removed and - diced
- 30 milliliters extra virgin olive oil
- Serve as a Starter:
- 8 greenshell mussels; out of the shell
- 6 large eggs; lightly beaten
- 50 milliliters double cream
- 10 milliliters Nam Pla fish paste
- 2 Tablespoons polenta
- 50 grams spring onions; sliced
- Cut the mussels into quarters then mix them in a bowl with the eggs, cream, nam pla, polenta and half the spring onion. Lastly mix in the kumera.
- Mix together all the other ingredients to make the salsa, including the remaining spring onions, and leave to stand for 30 minutes.
- Heat a pan and brush with oil, then make either 4 large or 8 small fritters. Cook to golden brown on one side then turn and cook the other side.
Kumera or Kumara are sweet potatoes. New Zealand kumara are available in red, gold or orange varieties, each with a deliciously different colour and taste. The majority of kumara is grown in Northland New Zealand.
Serve with the salsa on top, with a dollop of creme fraiche.