Mushroom Rarebit is an ideal snack for mums-to-be. Mushrooms contain the B vitamin niacin, which helps to convert carbohydrate from the bread into energy, while cheese and eggs are good sources of protein. You can also put the cheese mixture on halved baked potatoes and broil.
This is breast-feeding safe and soya-free.
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 large slices of multi-grain bread
- butter for spreading (optional)
- Creamed Spinach or Mashed potatoes with gravy
- Put the mushrooms on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with the garlic and season with a little salt and pepper. Cook in a pre-heated oven (180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4) for 5-10 minutes, until they are just beginning to give up their juices.
- Mix the cheese, mustard and egg in a small bowl. Season.
- Preheat the grill to high. Spoon the rarebit mixture onto the mushrooms, then grill until golden and bubbling. Toast the bread and spread with butter if you like.
- Put two mushrooms on each slice of toast, and serve with a simple green salad, mashed potatoes with gravy or creamed spinach.
Tasty, sultry and sinfully good, Earl Grey Chocolates provide a delicious snack - a morsel of love. ...
These delicious Almond Cookies are often served at the end of a wonderful Chinese meal. Simply delec...
This delicious Beef and Barley Soup, brimming with tasty and flavorful ingredients, is so comforting...
Grilled Pound Cake with Berries is a simple, easy way to make a quick summer dessert. Perfect for e...