Mushroom Rarebit is an ideal snack for mums-to-be. Mushrooms contain the B vitamin niacin, which helps to convert carbohydrate from the bread into energy, while cheese and eggs are good sources of protein. You can also put the cheese mixture on halved baked potatoes and broil.
This is breast-feeding safe and soya-free.
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 large slices of multi-grain bread
- butter for spreading (optional)
- Creamed Spinach or Mashed potatoes with gravy
- Put the mushrooms on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with the garlic and season with a little salt and pepper. Cook in a pre-heated oven (180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4) for 5-10 minutes, until they are just beginning to give up their juices.
- Mix the cheese, mustard and egg in a small bowl. Season.
- Preheat the grill to high. Spoon the rarebit mixture onto the mushrooms, then grill until golden and bubbling. Toast the bread and spread with butter if you like.
- Put two mushrooms on each slice of toast, and serve with a simple green salad, mashed potatoes with gravy or creamed spinach.
Baked Potato Chips provide a superb, crispy and flavorful side dish to accompany meats, fish, eggs, ...
The American classic, Deep Dish Apple Pie is always a treat. Filled with spicy, sweet and flaky good...
Traditionally served in a bowl, Sour Cherry Soup is exceptionally flavorful. It may also be served i...
There's something incredible, luscious, romantic and seductive about Prosciutto Wrapped Pears. Simp...