Todd English has become a master of creative pizzas, adding unusual ingredients rarely, if ever found in Italy. This one uses an interesting mushroom puree to replace traditional tomato sauce and Fontina to replace Mozzarella. The resulting blend of flavors are earthy, romantic and incredibly comforting.
- Figs Pizza Dough - makes 4 rounds
- 3 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 Cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 ounce fresh yeast
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 2/3 Cups water, lukewarm
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Portobello, Porcini and Button Mushroom Purée - makes 1 Cup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 Cup Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 1/4 Cup red wine
- 4 Portobello mushroom caps, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Button mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 Cup dried Porcini mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt as needed
- 2 pizza dough rounds (recipe follows)
- cornmeal as needed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 pinches Kosher salt
- black pepper as needed
- 1 Cup Portobello, Porcini and Button mushrooms
- 6 ounces Italian Fontina cheese, thinly shredded
- 2 Portobello mushroom caps
- 2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- truffle oil as needed
- Roll out 1 pizza dough as thinly as possible, leaving 1-inch lip all around and place on a pizza peel sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Cover with 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Evenly distribute 1/2 cup mushroom purée, 3 ounces Fontina cheese, 1 portobello mushroom cap and 11/2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese. Transfer pizza onto pizza stone heated in preheated 500 degrees F. for 1 hour.
- Bake in preheated 500 degrees F oven until browned, about 6 to 7 minutes. Sprinkle with 11/2 tsp. Parmesan cheese, black pepper to taste and drizzle with small amount of truffle oil. Slice and serve. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Figs Pizza Dough
- Place dry ingredients in mixer fitted with dough hook. While mixer is running, gradually add water and oil. Knead on low speed until firm and smooth.
- Divide dough into four rounds. Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and cover with damp towel. Let rise in warm spot for 2 hours.
- Portobello, Porcini and Button Mushroom Purée
- Place oil in hot pan. Sauté onion and garlic until translucent. Deglaze with wine.
- Add mushrooms and cook until soft. Add rosemary, cream and salt and reduce slightly. Purée.
Fish Burgers are best served with Beer Battered Fries for a magnificent meal. This Americanized ver...
Bacalaítos are salt cod fritters filled with minced cod fish and garnished with cilantro, tomatoes a...
The flavor of Commander's Palace Turtle Soup au Sherry is so extraordinary that it has become legend...
Gnocchi with Butter Thyme Sauce are simple morsels of dough, producing outstanding flavor and textur...