To warm body and soul in the cold of Winter, try a bowl of this exceptional, delicious Mushroom Barley Soup. Simply heavenly flavor in every spoonful.
Mushroom Barley Soup
This is a warming, comfortable potage of vegetables with exceptionally fine flavor.
Author: Judy Zeidler
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion; diced
- 2 celery stalks; diced
- 2 carrots; diced
- 3/4 pounds fresh Shiitake mushrooms; thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic; minced
- 6 Cups vegetable stock
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 Cup pearl barley
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 Tablespoon dry Sherry
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in large heavy pot over medium-high heat and saute onion, celery and carrots, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and garlic and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add stock, soy sauce, barley, thyme and Sherry.
- Reduce heat to low, cover partially and simmer gently 45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, ladle into heated soup bowls.
Recipe by Judy Zeidler, cookbook author and host of the Jewish Television Network's "Judy's Kitchen".
Serving size: 1 bowl Calories: 225 Fat: 7 g Carbohydrates: 36 g Sodium: 1411 mg Fiber: 2.56 g Protein: 6 g Cholesterol: 0 g