Your kids will go ape enjoying this fun bread. Usually made with caramel glaze, cinnamon or pecans, it’s flavorful, moist and a pleasure to consume. Just grab a piece and nosh!
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 3/4 Cups butter
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 envelopes dry yeast (1/4 ounces ea)
- 1/2 Cup warm water
- 4 eggs; beaten
- 4 1/2 Cups flour
- Scald 1/2 cup milk. Add 1 cup butter (cut into pieces), sugar and salt. Remove from heat and let stand at room temperature until lukewarm. Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add dissolved yeast, eggs and flour to milk mixture and mix well. Place in bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Punch down dough, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise again in warm, dry area until doubled in volume, about 3 hours. Melt remaining 3/4 cup butter and set aside.
- Roll out dough into rectangle about 18 by 12 inches. Cut dough into 2-inch squares. Dip each piece in melted butter and arrange pieces, overlapping, in 2 bundt cake pans. Place cloths over pans and let rise 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees until brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove pans from oven and allow bread to cool 10 to 15 minutes before removing from pans.
Each of 15 servings: 372 calories, 402 mg sodium, 116 mg cholesterol, 23 grams fat, 34 grams carbohydrates, 6 grams protein, 0.10 gram fiber