When a cookie is good enough for a Scottish millionaire, it must be a very fine cookie indeed. This topped shortbread is a fine, sweet and delectable confection worthy of palates of any worth.
- 2 Cups butter (4 sticks)
- 1 Cup powdered sugar
- 4 Cups flour
- 2 Cups cornmeal
- 3/4 Cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 Cup butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon golden syrup; see * Note
- 1 Cup white or dark chocolate chips
- For the Base: Cream butter gently in electric mixer using dough hook until light, 3 to 4 minutes. Add powdered sugar and continue beating a few more minutes. Slowly add flour and cornmeal and continue to mix with dough hook until dry ingredients are incorporated, 4 to 5 minutes. Dough will be dry.
- Press dough into 13- by 9-inch baking pan, and pierce repeatedly across bottom with fork to prevent it from rising. (If making plain shortbread, mark dividing lines between cookies same way).
- Bake at 275 degrees 1 hour. Turn oven off and open door to allow some heat to escape. Leave shortbread in oven to continue to dry out another 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool but do not remove from pan.
- For the Topping: Heat milk, butter, sugar and syrup in saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, until mixture begins to come away from sides of pan, 8 to 10 minutes. Pour over cooked shortbread (still in its pan) and cool.
- Melt chocolate chips in double boiler set over, but not touching, simmering water, or in microwave, and spread in layer over set caramel.
- Cool. Cut into fingers or squares.
This recipe yields 3 dozen cookies.
Source: Recipe from Gary and Rowena Groves, proprietors, at the Coach House, a cafe in the village of Luss, on the shore of Loch Lomand, Scotland
In economically troubled times, one can still make Presidential Shepherd's Pie, a dish that conforms...
The American classic, Deep Dish Apple Pie is always a treat. Filled with spicy, sweet and flaky good...
What can be said about Turkey Gravy except "pass the gravy please"? Wonderfully delicious. Pairs per...
Consomme Madrilene is one of the classics served in French restaurants or homes. Simple, delightfull...