Meringues Kisses may be made simply, with just a few ingredients and piped in decorative patterns to create morsels of subtle or strong flavor and crispy texture.
These may be made for Christmas, New Year’s Valentine’s Day, Easter or a variety of holidays throughout the year – even July 4th!
With chocolate chips included these confections are a cross between a cookie and a candy, but always, they’re a treat!
- 2 egg whites; room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 Cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint, orange, lemon, almond or vanilla extract (optional)
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In medium bowl, with electric mixer on medium speed, beat egg whites until frothy; add cream of tartar and salt. Beat on high speed until stiff; beat in sugar 1 Tablespoon at a time. Add extract(s); carefully fold in chocolate chips. Or, omit the chips from the mix, and lay them out on the baking sheet as shown above.
- Drop batter by heaping teaspoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet or pipe if not including the chips, using a star tip. Place in oven. Turn oven off; leave cookies in oven 5 hours. If using the chocolate chips on the baking sheet, pipe the meringue over them.
- Variation: Add food coloring for festive holiday touch: green or red for Christmas; pink and yellow for Easter, etc. Flavor individual batches of meringue with different extracts, making sure to clean all the equipment thoroughly between preparations. Use different flavors and coordinate with colors: pink, white or green with peppermint; white with vanilla; orange with orange; yellow with lemon, etc.
Irish Truffles are actually an American invention, but perfect for celebrating St. Patrick's Day, wh...
Ricotta Cheesecake with Fig Sauce is a tasty Italian treat, even without the sauce. The flavors and ...
There are almost as many recipes for Chicken Paprikash as there are Hungarian cooks. This wonderful...
Whether served as a side dish with breakfast or dinner, Sweet Potato Hash Brown Pancakes are wonderf...