The tasty treat results from growing oranges, olives, and fennel, which are the principal players in our flavor-rich Mediterranean Orange Salad with Fennel.
Mediterranean Orange Salad with Fennel
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Salads
- 3 fresh navel or blood oranges
- 1/2 to 1 fennel bulb (depending on size), sliced thin.
- 1 handful of black Kalamata olives (12 or so)
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- freshly squeezed juice of 1 orange
- sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, roasted
- 1/2 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
- 1 small bunch of cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- Toast the cumin seeds over medium-low heat in a small pan. Remove from pan and set aside to cool.
- Slice the fennel thin (1/2 of an average size fennel bulb will do). Do not include any part of the root and use very little of the green stalk.
- Drain and place fennel on a couple of paper towels to dry.
- With a sharp knife, remove the peel and white pith from the orange and slice it thinly - to about 1/4-inch thick.
- Place the oranges in a shallow bowl, and scatter on top of the sliced fennel and garnish with olives.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, juice of an orange, salt (to taste) and smoked paprika.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and then sprinkle with toasted cumin seeds and cilantro leaves.
Options and variations include adding grilled shrimp or chicken; shaved red onion (in warmer months); feta cheese; or grilled halloumi.