Masala Mac 'n Cheese
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Side Dish, Main, Luncheon
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil, plus as needed
- 2 small onions, diced
- 6 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 Tablespoon ginger paste
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, and to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red chiles
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/4 Cups whole milk
- 1 1/4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup American cheese, shredded
- 1 3/4 Cup sharp Cheddar, shredded, divided
- black pepper, freshly ground to taste
- 1/2 Cup cilantro, chopped
- 4 Cups elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1/4 Cup breadcrumbs
- Heat olive oil in sauté pan over medium heat. Sauté onions until almost browned. Add tomatoes, ginger paste, coriander, cumin seeds, salt, ground chiles and turmeric. Reduce heat to medium-low; sauté 10 minutes. Remove from heat; reserve.
- In saucepan over medium heat, heat milk to boil; remove from heat.
- In another heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; whisk in flour and cook 3 to 4 minutes (be careful not to brown mixture). Slowly add hot milk, whisking constantly to ensure there are no lumps.
- Add 1 cup each Cheddar and American cheeses; stir frequently until cheese is melted and sauce slightly thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove sauce from heat; stir in sautéed onion-and-tomato mixture and cilantro. Place pasta in large mixing bowl; toss lightly with a touch of olive oil. Pour cheese sauce over pasta; mix thoroughly. Transfer to baking dish.
- Combine remaining Cheddar cheese with breadcrumbs; sprinkle atop macaroni.
- Bake macaroni and cheese at 400 degrees F until golden and bubbly, 10 to 15 minutes.