Marinierte Tomaten (Marinated Tomatoes) is a great tasting tomato dish that may be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Richly flavored with herbs, scallions and a mustard-enhanced vinaigrette, this dish is an ideal accompaniment for simple meat dishes, eggs or as accompaniments for other vegetables.
This German recipe is interesting, as tomatoes arrived in Germany long after most of Europe received them with some trepidation after their discovery in modern day Latin America. Like the potato, they took very well to the European climate and quickly became a staple throughout the Continent.
- 4 tomatoes; large *
- 1 Cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 Cup wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard; dry
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, large, minced
- 1 Tablespoon basil; fresh, chopped
- 2 thyme sprigs, fresh,chopped
- 1 spring marjoram; fresh, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon scallion; minced
- Place tomato slices in serving bowl.
- Combine remaining ingredients and pour over tomatoes. Toss lightly.
- Chill for 1 hour or longer before serving.
Cheese Grits Souffle is a simply wonderful recipe enjoyable at brunch or dinner. Combining the flavo...
Bavarian Creams are wonderful desserts with considerable flexibility for both flavors and use. Some ...
There's something extraordinary about Azafran Soup with Spinach Greens and Yellow Cornmeal Dumplings...
The Caramel Apple was created to please young and old alike in the colder months. The basic recipe ...