An outstanding recipe for holiday entertaining.
Marinated Oysters with Tomato Cucumber Relish
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Appetizers
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- lemon peel from 1/4 of a lemon; yellow part only
- 1/2 Cup cucumber; peeled, seeded and fine
- 1/2 Cup plum tomatoes; peeled, seeded and fine
- 24 fresh cilantro leaves thinly cut
- 24 small oysters; like kumamoto, malpeque
- 2/3 Cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 Cup finely diced shallots
- 1/3 Cup finely diced fennel
- 1/3 Cup Sherry vinegar
- Remove the oysters from their shells. Wash the bottom shells and set aside. Discard the top shells. Place the oysters in a single, even layer on the bottom of a nonreactive dish.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat 1/3 cup of the oil. Add the shallots and fennel and cook, stirring, until translucent and soft, about 4 minutes. Whisk in the vinegar and the remaining oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil and pour it over the oysters. Make sure the shallots and fennel are evenly spread over the oysters. Set aside and allow to cool at room temperature. Cover the oysters and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the peel and boil for 1 minute. Refresh the peel under cold running water. Finely dice and set aside.
- Remove the oysters from the refrigerator and return them to their bottom shells. Pour the leftover oil mixture through a sieve into a bowl; reserve the oil and the shallot-fennel mixture, separately.
- In a bowl, combine the cucumber, tomatoes, drained lemon peel and 1/3 cup of the reserved oil mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Place 1/2 teaspoon of the shallot-fennel mixture on each oyster, followed by 1 teaspoon of the cucumber-tomato mixture. Garnish with the cilantro. Place 6 oysters each on 4 plates covered with crushed ice.