Madras Curry Fried Chicken is a wonderful, spicy version of the picnic classic, and delicious for luncheon or dinner. Serve hot or cold for a great meal.
Madras Curry Fried Chicken
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
- 3 Tablespoons, plus 1 teaspoon Madras curry powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 (3-pound) bird chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 teaspoons Kosher salt, divided
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 Cups buttermilk
- Mix together 3 Tablespoons curry powder, garlic powder, chili flakes and sugar. Season chicken with curry mixture and 2 teaspoons salt. Cover; refrigerate overnight.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, pepper, remaining 1 teaspoon curry powder and remaining 1 teaspoon salt.
- Dip chicken in buttermilk and then thoroughly coat with flour mixture.
- In a fryer preheated to 300 degrees F., fry chicken until golden brown and cooked through. (Alternatively, fry in 4 cups peanut oil in a deep skillet.)
- Transfer chicken to a sheet pan; let rest 4 minutes before serving.