Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Vegetables
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 7 medium sweet onions, coarsely chopped (about 7 Cups)
- 1/2 Cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/4 Cups (5 ounce) shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 1/4 Cups (5 ounce) Monterrey jack cheese shredded and divided
- 1 Tablespoon chopped bottled or canned jalapeno peppers, drained
- Preheat oven to 350F. in a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for about 10 minutes, until softened. Meanwhile. in a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Add 1 cup of each cheese; mix well. Add the jalapeno peppers and the cooked onions; mix well. Pour into a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish that has been coated with nonstick spray. Combine the remaining cheeses and sprinkle evenly over the onion mixture. Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Note: If you are serving this right from the casserole dish on the kitchen table or dining room table, be sure to use a trivet.