Louisville Burgoo is a soupy stew of meats and vegetables and perfectly suited to leftovers or a great Southern meal no matter where you live! Burgoo originated in Kentucky during the Civil War, as a way to use available foods to prepare a good hot meal for the troops.
- 1 pound mixed cooked meats (beef, lamb, pork, chicken, game, etc.)
- 1/2 gallon chicken stock
- 1/2 gallon beef stock
- 1 ounce Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Cup diced tomatoes (fresh or canned whole, chopped)
- 1 large yellow onion; diced
- 1 celery stalk; diced
- 1 small green bell pepper; seeded, trimmed and diced
- 1 large new potato; washed and diced
- 2 large carrots; peeled, trimmed and diced
- 1/4 Cup peas (may be frozen)
- 1/2 Cup okra (may be frozen)
- 1/4 Cup lima beans (may be frozen)
- 1/2 Cup yellow corn (may be frozen)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- salt; to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper; to taste
- Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours.
- Skim the top as needed and discard the floating residue..
Absolutely outstanding and unique, these charming breadsticks are wrapped with beef and fresh arugul...
The flavor of stout adds a deep and rich flavor. One of the best and most popular recipes for a Happ...
One of the best pesto recipes we have, this one we found to be the optimum one for lighter pastas, a...
An utterly delectable dessert, Pumpkin Cheesecake with Gingersnap Pecan Crust is a creamy treat; off...