Lorraine Soup is vibrant and tasty, made with eggs, cream, milk and chicken, its delicious flavor makes a great start to your meal.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 1 thick slice white bread
- 1/4 pint milk
- 2 breasts of cooked, skinned, minced chicken
- 4 ground almonds
- 2 hard boiled egg yolks
- 2 pints chicken stock
- white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 pint double cream
- 2 Tablespoons finely diced cooked chicken
- Remove crusts from bread and place in small saucepan. Cover with the milk and bring to boil. Set aside and allow to cool a bit. Pound minced chicken, almonds and hard-boiled yolks in mortar until smooth, then place in a large bowl. Gradually beat in the bread and milk.
- Stir in the stock, then pass through a sieve into a saucepan. Bring to the boil, season with salt and pepper, add nutmeg and lemon juice.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, then remove from the heat. Beat egg yolks with the cream and blend 3 tablespoonfuls of the hot soup.
- Stir the mixture into the soup and heat gently for 2 or 3 minutes.
- DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL.
- When it thickens, serve with the diced chicken as a garnish.