Lobster Salad with Japanese Dressing
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Appetizers
- 8 small 450g, (1lb) or 3 large 1kg (2 1/4lb) lobsters
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 gm thyme, (1/4 ounce)
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 700 gm, (1 3/4 pounds) good, (700 to 800) flavored large new potatoes, peeled and cooked
- 100 gm mayonnaise, (4oz)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 100 gm, (1/4 pound) small salad, (100 to 120) leaves, corn salad, landcress, rocket, etc
- 8 gm, (1/4 ounce) chervil, (8 to 10) roughly chopped
- 24 thinly sliced rashers of smoked streaky bacon
- 10 gm fine chives, cut into 5cm lengths (1/4 ounce)
- For the Dressing:
- 1 small carrot
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 40 gm root ginger, scraped and finely chopped (1 1/2 ounces)
- 50 ml soy sauce (2 fluid ounces)
- (Cook the lobsters in 2 batches, if you do not have a large pan). Half fill a pan with water, add the bay leaf, thyme, peppercorns, onion, fennel seeds and salt. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the lobsters to the water and cook the small ones for 8-10 minutes and the larger ones for 12-15 minutes, remove from the water and leave to cool.
- Dressing - mix the carrot, shallot, garlic, ginger with the soy sauce, rice vinegar, and ketchup. Gradually whisk in the vegetable oil, add the coriander and season to taste.
- Whilst the new potatoes are still warm, mash them coarsely with a fork or masher, then mix in the mayonnaise, dijon mustard and chopped chervil and put to one side. Remove the lobster meat from the body and claws and cut into even sized pieces.
- Meanwhile, grill the bacon rashers until crisp. Put a couple of spoonfuls of the potato salad in the middle of the plate, arrange the salad leaves around and lightly spoon over the dressing. Place the lobster pieces on the potato and the bacon on top, then scatter over the chives.