Lime Delicious Cheesecake
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Cakes
- 1 1/4 Cups Zwieback toast crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 Cup butter; melted
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 Cup cold water
- 1/4 Cup lime juice
- 3 large eggs; separated
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 16 ounces light Neufchatel cheese; soft
- 2 Cups thawed whipped topping
- Combine crumbs, sugar and butter; press onto bottom of 9 inch springform pan. Bake at 325 degrees F. for 10 minutes. Cool.
- Soften gelatin in water, stir over low heat until dissolved. Add juice, egg yolks, 1/4 cups sugar and peel; cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat 5 minutes. Cool.
- Gradually add gelatin mixture to the softened Light Neufchatel cheese, mixing at medium speed on electric mixer, until well blended. Stir in a few drops of green food coloring, if desired.
- Beat egg whites until foamy; gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites and whipped topping into neufchatel cheese mixture, pour over crust. Chill until firm.
Professional bakers use half slices of lime to decorate the cake by placing them along the inside edge of the cake mould before filling. See the photo for an example.
Garnish with additional lime peel, if desired.