Lentil Minestrone is a heart healthy mixture of tasty lentils and nutritious vegetables. Simply an outstanding soup to keep heart and soul warm.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Serves: 4 to 6 servings
- 2 Cups dried lentils
- 12 Cups cold water, divided
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 minced celery ribs
- 1 Cup coarsely chopped cabbage
- 1 Cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs or
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano and
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 pinch of hot pepper flakes
- 6 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Soak lentils overnight in 6 Cups water; drain, discard water.
- Combine lentils with remaining 6 Cups water. Heat to boiling.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, except cheese. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.