Simple, easy preparation make Lentil Chipotle Soup a wonderful luncheon or starter course for dinner. Perfect with tortilla chips. This is a superb high-protein dish.
Lentil Chipotle Soup
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chipotle paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 ounces red or yellow lentils
- 14 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- sour cream, to serve
- Tabasco sauce, to serve
- tortilla chips, to serve
- Cook the onion, carrot, celery and chilies over a gentle heat in a splash of oil until softened. Add the chipotle paste and cumin and cook for a minute.
- Tip in the lentils, tomatoes and 1 2/3 Cups water. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables and lentils are tender. Whiz half the soup in a blender or blend briefly with a stick blender then mix everything together.
- Season, then serve in bowls with a dollop of soured cream, a splash of Tabasco and a pile of tortilla chips on the side.
Chipotle paste is a great store shelf ingredient that adds a hot and smoky kick to chilies and soups. Find it with the Mexican ingredients in supermarkets.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 267 Fat: 6.8 g Saturated fat: 0.9 g Carbohydrates: 40.3 g Sodium: 0.46 g Fiber: 6.8 g Protein: 13.6 g