Absolutely delicious. The lemon adds a new dimension to the luxurious taste of traditional Creme Brulee. Enjoy this winning recipe with or without caramelized sugar for a glorious end to your meal.
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 Cup sugar
- 2 Cups heavy cream
- 2/3 Cup milk
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- 6 Tablespoons brown sugar
- Heat heavy cream and lemon rind until almost boiling. Strain.
- Cream yolks with sugar until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour hot cream into yolk/sugar mix, stirring gently.
- Pour mixture into ungreased oven proof custard cups.
- Bake in a bain marie at 350 F (150 C) for about 50 minutes, until custard is set. Remove from oven, cool to room temperature and refrigerate overnight, covered.
Traditional serving suggestion: place cooled custard cups on a baking sheet. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly but sparingly over the surface of the custards.[br][br]Place under a very hot broiler or a propane torch until the sugar just melts, about 1 minute. Wait another 1 minute and serve.[br][br]The sugar should be warm and crispy, and the custard cool and smooth.