Lemon Pudding Cake is unusual, creative and delicious. You’ll find the results will delight all who try this confection. Luscious and lemony.
Lemon Pudding Cake
Author: Marion Cunningham
Recipe type: Baked Goods
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Cup all-purpose white flour
- 1/4 Cup butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 Cup fresh lemon juice
- grated zest from 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 Cups milk
- nonstick cooking spray; or
- 2 teaspoons softened butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put 3/4 cup sugar, salt and flour in mixing bowl and stir with fork until mixed together. Melt butter in small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add to flour mixture and stir to mix.
- Separate egg whites from yolks, making sure there is no yolk with the whites. Put whites in clean medium-size glass or metal bowl.
- Add yolks to flour mixture and beat with whisk or beater. Squeeze lemons. Add lemon juice and zest to flour mixture. Add milk to flour mixture. Stir until all ingredients are mixed together and batter is uniform color. (Note: This batter is very thin and liquid and doesn't look like the cake batter you may be used to seeing - but fear not, it will work.)
- Beat egg whites, adding remaining 1/4 cup sugar until color of whites changes from clear to white and whites form soft peaks. Fold whites into batter.
- Grease 8-inch-square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray or butter. Set this pan in large baking pan that you have placed on middle shelf of oven. Pour into large pan enough warm water to reach halfway up sides of cake pan. Set timer for 25 minutes and bake.
- When timer rings, check to see if cake is done. It should be golden color. Insert toothpick into center of cake about 1/4-inch deep (cake layer is about 1-inch thick and pudding is underneath, so all you have to probe is cake layer). If toothpick comes out clean, cake is done; if there is wet cake batter on tip, let cake bake another 5 minutes and test again. When cake is done, remove from water bath and turn oven off. Leave water bath in oven to cool.
- To serve, spoon portion onto dessert plate and add scoop of whipped cream to each portion. Sprinkle the top of the cake with powdered sugar.
Serving size: Each Calories: 284 Fat: 11 g Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 41 g Sodium: 190 mg Fiber: 0.01 g Protein: 6 g Cholesterol: 131 mg