Few pies offer the delicacy and richness of Lemon Meringue Pie. The silky filling is complemented by the crunchy crust and fluffy, sweet meringue. Simply wonderful.
Lemon Meringue Pie
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Baked Goods
Serves: 6 servings
- 1/4 Cup corn starch
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 Cups water
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 Tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/3 Cup lemon juice
- 3 egg whites
- 6 Tablespoons sugar
- Mix 1/4 cup corn starch, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt in double boiler top. Slowly stir in 1 1/2 cups water. Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly, until thick enough to mound slightly when dropped from spoon. Cover; cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Beat 3 egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar. Blend a little hot mixture into egg yolks, then stir all into remaining hot mixture. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from boiling water. Gently stir in 2 tablespoons butter, 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind and 1/3 cup lemon juice.
- Cool to room temperature. Turn into baked 9-inch pastry shell.
- Beat 3 egg whites until foamy. Add 6 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until stiff peaks form when beater is raised.
- Spread some meringue around edge of filling first touching crust all around; then fill in center.
- Bake in 350 degree F. oven 15 to 20 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned.