There’s quite a bit of nutritious value hidden behind the incredible flavors of Leek and Parsnips Soup, an Irish traditional soup. Simply delectable.
Leeks and Parsnips Soup
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Serves: 4 to 6 servings
- 3 Tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 2 pounds of leeks, rinsed well and chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds of parsnips, washed and chopped
- 1 Cup of flat leaf parsley, washed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 Tablespoon of salt and pepper
- 6 Cups of chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons dry vermouth
- Melt butter with thyme in a Dutch oven or large sauce pan. Saute leeks until they wilt.
- Add parsnips, parsley and salt and pepper. Saute for a minute or two.
- Add chicken broth bring the soup to a boil. Lower and let it simmer covered for 30 minutes or until the parsnips are soft.
- In small batches puree the soup in a blender or use an immersion blender. You may prefer the regular blender because leeks are stringy and don't puree well with an immersion blender.)
- Add Vermouth at the end. Mix well.
- Check that the salt and pepper are good.
- Serve with grilled Irish cheddar cheese or crusty soda bread with butter.