Lavender Fig Tart is the epitome of summertime flavors. This extraordinary fruit tart has the distinction of having added flavor delivered of flowers. Amazing!
Lavender Fig Tart
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Baked Goods
- 1 1/4 Cups flour; plus extra
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 Cup butter; plus extra
- 2 Tablespoons water (to 3 Tablespoons)
- 1 pound fresh figs
- 1 jar raspberry jam (8 ounces)
- 1 Tablespoon water
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon minced lavender leaves
- whipped cream; barely sweetened
- For the Pastry Shell: Combine flour, sugar, salt and butter in food processor or mixing bowl and cut together until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring constantly, until mixture just begins to come together. Remove from bowl and knead lightly and briefly to make smooth mass. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- When chilled, remove plastic wrap and place dough on well-floured work surface. Roll out into circle roughly 11 inches in diameter. Fold in quarters and transfer to buttered 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Unfold and gently press into pan. Trim rim 1 inch from pan edge and fold extra dough between pan and dough rim to make taller edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Bake at 425 degrees until firm and rim begins to brown, about 10 minutes.
- For the Fig Filling: Trim stems from figs and cut crosses in tops, coming down nearly to bottom, so fig will open like a flower.
- Heat jam, water and lemon juice over medium-high heat until smooth and flowing. Cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Pour mixture through strainer into baked tart crust. Spread evenly across bottom. Arrange figs in tart, pressing them open first and then arranging to cover as much of bottom as possible.
- Combine sugar and lavender in small bowl and stir to combine. Strain out chunks of lavender and sprinkle flavored sugar over top of figs.
- Bake at 425 degrees until figs soften, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly and serve with whipped cream.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
Serving size: each of 8 Calories: 321 Fat: 12 g Carbohydrates: 54 g Sodium: 151 mg Fiber: 0.73 g Protein: 3 g Cholesterol: 31 mg