Lamington Cupcakes are exceptional treats and the foundation of many a contemporary commercial snack cake. The luscious cupcakes are topped with a chocolate glaze and dried coconut for a wonderful trio of flavors. A favorite in their homeland, Australia, where they’re enjoyed by young and old as a pleasurable snack.
- 2 Cups unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 Cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, cubed, softened
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 bean vanilla bean, split in half, seeds scraped out
- 1/2 Cup whole milk
- 4 large egg whites
- Chocolate Glaze, as needed (recipe follows)
- 2 Cups Confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 Cup plus 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 Cup, plus 2 Tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a 300 degree F oven, toast coconut until golden, about 5 minutes. Cool. Increase the temperature to 350 degrees F and oil a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar, vanilla extract and vanilla bean and seeds until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the milk and flour mixture gradually, alternating between each addition. Remove the vanilla bean, rinse and reserve for a future use.
- In a clean, dry bowl, whisk egg whites to soft peaks, about 4 minutes. Fold whites into the batter.
- Divide batter among muffin cups, filling each cup about 3/4 full. Bake, rotating halfway through, until cupcakes are golden, about 20 minutes. invert cupcakes onto a wire rake, turn them top-side up, let cool completely.
- To glaze the cupcakes, set a wire rack over a baking sheet. Dip 1 cupcake into the glaze, turning to coat the entire cupcake. Immediately roll cupcake in the coconut. Transfer to the wire rake to let the glaze set up (this will take about 10 minutes). Repeat with the remaining cupcakes.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the Confectioners' sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Add water and vanilla, whisk to combine.
The flavor of Commander's Palace Turtle Soup au Sherry is so extraordinary that it has become legend...
Cuban-style Skirt Steak is a glorious dish to prepare and enjoy. The intoxicatingly rich herbal fla...
Rich, sultry, seductive and alluring, Chilled Avocado and Grapefruit Soup with Chipotle Chile Puree ...
Justin Wilson, that creative advocate of Cajun and Southern cookery left a legacy of immortal recipe...