A popular dish in Anglo-Indian eateries, this spiced, rich and colorful lamb dish is packed with intense flavors to tantalize the palate and warm the soul.
Lamb Jalfrezi with Basmati Rice
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main, Entree
- 3/4 pound lamb stew, diced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jar jalfrezi
- hot curry sauce
- 8 ounce package microwave basmati rice
- 6 Roma tomatoes, quartered
- sweet pepper selection - red, orange, yellow, seeded and sliced
- 1 large red onion
- 6 ounces green beans, trimmed
- fresh mint to garnish
- Cut the onion into 8 and thinly slice a colorful selection of peppers.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a heavy-bottomed pan and soften the red onion, then add the diced lamb and cook until browned. Add the sliced peppers, green beans and tomatoes with a scant 1/2 Cup cold water
- then cover and simmer gently over a medium heat for 20 minutes. Stir in the jar of curry sauce and green beans and simmer for a further 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, microwave the rice.
- Put a pile of basmati rice on each plate, top with the curry and garnish with fresh mint.
Browning the onions and the lamb before adding the sauce will add richness to both the color and flavor of the finished dish. Serve with pappadums, fresh naan bread and mango chutney.
Serving size: 1 Calories: 540 Fat: 17.8g Saturated fat: 6.4g Sugar: 17g Sodium: 0.9g