Lamb Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Lamb or Mutton
- 8 ounces plain yogurt
- 1/3 Cup cucumber; peeled seeded and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons onion; finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic; minced
- sugar (as needed)
- 1 pound lean ground lamb
- 2 cloves garlic; minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano; crushed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoons pepper
- 1 large tomato; halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion; thinly sliced
- 4 pita breads; halved and warm
- For sauce, combine all ingredients in medium bowl; mix well. Cover and refrigerate.
- For gyros, combine lamb and seasonings in a large bowl; mix gently to blend well. Shape into 2 oval 1/2-inch thick patties. Place patties on rack in broiler pan so surface of meat is 3-4 inches from heat.
- Broil 8-10 minutes until no loger pink, turning once. Carve each patty into thin slices. Place equal amounts of lamb, tomato and onion in each pita half.
- Serve with yogurt sauce.
- Makes 4 servings.