For anyone who loves crispy potatoes, Lacy Potato Pancakes (Latkes) is the perfect solution. Serve with sour cream or apple sauce for a great meal. May be used as an appetizer, side dish or even a breakfast main course.
- 4 potatoes - peeled
- 1 small onion
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 Cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch lemon pepper
- or pepper oil - for frying
- Grate potatoes either using the largest holes on a four-sided hand grater, or the grater attachment on a food processor.
- Place potatoes in a colander and rinse under cold water to remove the starch. Be sure to allow potatoes to drain well.
- Grate onion, removing any excess moisture by placing in colander and pressing with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Combine potato and onion. Beat eggs into mixture; stir in flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- If using a food processor, combine ingredients using plastic knife attachment so potatoes remain in grated pieces.
- Heat 1/8" of oil in a large skillet. For each pancake, drop about 2 tablespoons of batter into the oil and flatten with the back of a wooden spoon; the flatter the pancake, the crispier it will be. Brown well on both sides.
- Drain well on paper towels.
- Keep the cooked pancakes warm in a 100 F oven.
- Serve with Pink Cinnamon Applesauce and/or sour cream.
- Makes about 2 dozen regular size, or 5 dozen miniature latkes.
- Pancakes may be made ahead of time and refrigerated between layers of waxed paper when cooled.
- To reheat, place in a single layer on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake uncovered at 450 F for 5 minutes, or until crisp and hot.
A delicious, simple but flavorful sauce perfect for ice cream, custards and other desserts. Served ...
Simply extraordinary! Easy Chocolate Terrine can be made any time of year for a perfect dessert. Ser...
Richly flavorful, Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes pairs perfectly with roasts or seafood. Simple to ...
An absolutely wonderful pairing of potato and leek, Scalloped Potatoes and Leeks, served as a side d...