Kerry Casserole is a classic Irish dish, made with meaty Irish bacon, and sliced potatoes. The flavor is soothing, comforting and relaxing. Perfect with beer or cider. Ask your butcher for back bacon, or thinly sliced pork loin sirloin cutlets with the fat left on.
- 3/4 pound belly of pork (use thin sliced pork loin sirloin in the US)
- 3/4 pound smoked bacon
- 2 pound potatoes
- 1/4 pound mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 pound onions
- 3/4 Cup beef stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 ounces butter
- (Irish pork belly has a fatty layer, vital for the flavor, and a meaty layer.
- See if you can get your butcher to give you pork that has about equal amounts of pork and fat. Plain lean pork will not taste as good.)
- Cut meat into one-inch cubes.
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes.
- Peel or wipe mushrooms, and slice if large
- Grease a large ovenproof casserole dish with some of the butter, and place a layer of sliced potatoes in the bottom.
- Add half the meat pieces, seasoned and sprinkled with rosemary
- Layer with half the vegetables, plus another layer of potatoes.
- Repeat, using all meat, vegetables and potatoes.
- Pour stock over and dot potatoes with remaining butter.
- Cover and cook in a moderate oven, 325 degrees F, for 2 1/4 hours.
- Uncover for the last half hour of cooking to brown the potatoes.
Served as a vegetarian main course or a side dish, Broccoli and Mushrooms in Oyster Sauce is an exce...
Chocolate Meringue Pie is one of our most luscious and seductive recipes, with romantic, alluring qu...
Layers of apples, crispy and flaky puff pastry and rich caramel combine to make Apple Napoleons with...
Buttercup Cream Pasta is a luscious seasonal dish that will surprise with amazing flavor. Everyone w...