Kay's Favorite Meat Loaf
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Beef
- 1 beef bouillon
- 1/2 Cup boiling water
- 2 slices bread; crumbled fine
- 1 1/2 pounds 85% lean ground beef
- 2 medium eggs; beaten slightly
- 1/2 Cup onion; chopped finely
- 1/4 Cup celery; chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon catsup
- Preheat oven to 350 f degree. Line a shallow 8-inch baking pan with foil.
- Dissolve beef bouillion cube in boiling water in a large bowl. Add all other ingrediets except the catsup and blend well with a fork.
- Turn onto foil in pan and, with hands, shape quickly into a 6 by 4 1/2 inch by 2 inch loaf. With the dull edge of a knife make a crisscross pattern across the top, spread with catup across the top.
- Cover loaf with a tent of foil that does not touch the top. Bake 45 minutes. Remove foil; bake, uncovered, another 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan for 2-3 minutes before serving. Using this molded metheod instead of loaf pan allows the fat to drain from the loaf, whereas a loaf pan retains fat.
Nutritive values per serving ( large slice 4 1/2 by 2 by 1 inch, 1/6 of loaf): Food Exchange per serving: 2 MEDIUM-FAT MEAT EXCHANGES + 1 VEGETABLE EXCHANGE + 1 FAT EXCHANGE CHO: 5g; PRO: 19g; FAT: 10g; CAL: 267; LOW-SODIUM DIETS: Substitute a low-sodium cube.