The aromatic qualities of this exceptional recipe make it an ideal side dish for other Indian dishes. A gem created by Madhur Jaffrey.
Author: Madhur Jaffrey
Recipe type: Vegetables
- 5 Tablespoons mustard oil
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida
- 2 1/2 pounds spinach, washed and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Garam Masala
- Heat oil in a very large pot over high heat. Let oil smoke a few minutes so that it loses its pungency.
- Put in the asafetida and all the spinach. Stir, add turmeric, cayeene, salt and soda.
- Cook and stir until the spinach wilts. Add 2 Cups water and cook uncovered over medium-high heat for 25 minutes. Stir occasionally. Reduce heat to low and mash spinach with back of a spoon.
- Cook, uncovered, for another 10 minutes. Sprinkle [url href="https://www.epicurus.com/Glossary/garam-masala-7/47163">Garam Masala[/url] over top and serve.
From: Madhur Jaffrey, "A Taste of India"