The German version of Veal Piccata, Kapernschnitzel is a delightful recipe has a tangy, sultry sauce that is irresistible.
Kapernschnitzel (Veal Cutlets with Capers)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
- 24 ounces veal cutlets (4 to 6 ounces each)
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 ounces capers; drained (1/2 small jar)
- 1/4 Cup white wine; dry
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 Tablespoons evaporated milk
- pickled beets; sliced
- 4 lettuce leaves
- Sprinkle cutlets with lemon juice and season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Heat oil in a fry-pan and fry cutlets for 3 minutes on the first side.
- Turn cutlets over and add drained capers to pan.
- Fry again for 3 minutes; remove cutlets and arrange on a preheated platter.
- Pour wine into pan, scraping loose any brown particles from bottom of fry-pan.
- Add bay leaf, simmer liquid 3 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Blend in evaporated milk and adjust seasonings. Pour over cutlets.
- Cut beets into strips and arrange on lettuce leaves as a garnish.