The craze for Kale is hardly new, and was a favorite of healthy Spanish soups, such as Kale Soup or Sopa de Couves. The flavors are outstanding.
Kale Soup (Sopa de Couves)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
Serves: 8 to 10
- 1 pound dried red kidney beans; washed, sorted
- 12 Cups water
- 1 pound Spanish (not Mexican) chorizo or
- other spicy smoked sausage; cut 1/4" slices
- 2 Cups torn kale or collard greens leaves
- 2 large boiling potatoes; peeled, and cut into 1" chunks
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes; or to taste
- Soak beans in water in large pot overnight. Bring beans and water to a boil, add chorizo, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until beans are barely tender, about 25 to 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent beans from sticking to bottom of pot.
- Add kale, potatoes, salt to taste and red pepper flakes. Return to simmer and cook until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes. Soup is best when allowed to sit for several hours. (Reheat before serving.)
- Serve this with crusty peasant bread.
*Spanish chorizo is available at Spanish and some Latin markets.
Serving size: each of 10 Calories: 315 Fat: 13 g Carbohydrates: 30 g Sodium: 458 mg Fiber: 2.89 g Protein: 20 g Cholesterol: 30 mg