Junior’s, that historic eatery in Downtown Brooklyn, still makes their famous creamy coleslaw using this recipe. It is simply extraordinary and perfect with meats or sandwiches.
- 2 Cups mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 large carrots; shredded
- 1 head green cabbage (about 2 pounds); shredded
- Dressing: In small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, garlic, pepper and salt. Set aside.
- Slaw: In large bowl, toss carrots and cabbage. Immediately pour dressing over cabbage mix and toss until vegetables are well coated. Cover bowl and refrigerate until vegetables wilt just a little, about 15 minutes. (Flavors will blend even better if you let slaw marinate in refrigerator for about 1 hour.)
- Toss again before serving to redistribute any dressing that has settled in bottom of bowl.
This recipe yields 16 servings.
Each serving: 176 calories; 245 mg sodium; 8 mg cholesterol; 2 grams fat; 6 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram protein; 2 grams fiber.