Jeff's Chicken Fried Steak
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Beef
- 1/2 pound round steak
- 1 Cup flour
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- oil for cooking
- Cream Gravy:
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 Cup water
- 1/4 Cup flour
- Heat 1/4 inch oil in heavy frying pan to medium high.
- Combine 1 cup milk with the egg, whisk to mix. Pour into 9" round shallow pan.
- Season 1 cup flour with the garlic powder, salt and pepper. Sift together into 9" round shallow pan.
- Tenderize the round steak well, trimming off excess fat and ligament.
- Dip the meat into the egg and milk mixture, then dredge in the seasoned flour, pressing the flour into the meat. Repeat for a crispier coating.
- When oil is hot, place the meat into oil, adjusting temp. to allow the meat to cook for 9-12 minutes. This allows additional tenderizing of the meat.
- When fried steak is golden brown, remove to drain on paper towels.
- CREAM GRAVY:
- Pour off all but 4 tablespoons of the cooking oil from the pan. Over medium heat, slowly stir in the 1/4 cup flour, stirring constantly.
- Combine the 1 cup milk and 1 cup water, slowly add to oil/flour mix, stirring constantly. Stirring with a large spatula helps. Loosen brown bits from bottom of pan while stirring, there's great flavor there.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, raising heat to bring to a boil. When bubbly, lower heat and continue to stir, simmering for 5 minutes.
- It's traditional to serve the meat with mashed potatoes, covering the meat and potatoes with the gravy. Large yeast rolls go great with this meal too.
- Well worth the effort!