A simple side dish, Jasmine Rice pairs well with roast meats, fish and fowl. A naturally aromatic, long grain white rice, jasmine rice is the staple of most Thai meals. If you eat rice regularly, you might want to invest in an electric rice cooker.
An electric rice cooker cooks the rice and keeps it warm. Different sizes and models of rice cookers are available. The top of the range is a non-stick version, which is more expensive than most, but well worth the money. Try Aroma Housewares 2-8-Cups (Cooked) Digital Cool-Touch Rice Grain Cooker and Food Steamer, Stainless, 8 Cup, Silver
- 450 g (1 pound) 2 Cups jasmine rice
- 750 ml (1 1/4 pint) 3 cups cold -water
- Rinse the rice thoroughly at least three times in cold water until the water runs clear.
- Put the rice in a heavy-based saucepan and add the "water. Bring the rice to a vigorous boil, uncovered, over a high heat.
- Stir and reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for up to 20 minutes, or until all the water has been, absorbed. Remove from the heat and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir the rice I gently with a rice paddle or a pair of wooden chopsticks, to fluff up and separate the grains.