Tasty, nutritious and tropical, Jamaican-Style Greens are a glorious way to serve earthy greens with regional flavors.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 2 pounds collard greens, kale or mustard greens
- 1/4 Cup water
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Cup finely chopped onion
- 1 small red jalapeno pepper, stemmed seeded and finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons lemon or lime juice
- Wash the greens well in several changes of water. Remove the thick rib from the center of the leaves; chop coarsely.
- Put the greens with 1/4 cup water into a large pot. Place over medium heat, cover and cook until wilted, about 10 minutes. Stir often. Drain completely.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeno; saute 5 minutes. Stir in the greens, allspice, salt and pepper; saute 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice and serve.