Jamaican Oxtail Stew
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 2 Cups canned beef stock
- 2 Cups water; (approximately)
- 2 Tablespoons freshly ground allspice; or salt, to taste
- black pepper, freshly ground
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1/3 Cup dried small white beans
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 pounds beef oxtails
- 3 cloves garlic; peeled and crushed
- 1 medium yellow onion; peeled and diced
- 1 medium tomato; diced
- Place beans in a small saucepan. Add 1 cup of the water, bring to a boil, covered, then turn off the heat. Allow to sit for 1 hour, covered, then drain.
- Brown the oxtails well in the oil. Place the oxtails in a 6-quart stove-top casserole.
- Add the garlic, onion and tomato. Add the beef stock and enough water so it just covers the contents of the pot. Add the allspice, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 3 1/2 hours, adding the drained beans after 1 1/2 hours. Stir occasionally.
- Remove the lid during the last hour of cooking if you want a thicker sauce. Be careful the pot does not dry out. Season with salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce.