The history of Jamaican Beef Patties includes all the cuisines that came together to create the multi-cultural community that is Jamaica. The flavors of the 17th century may be enjoyed in every bite. Combining the Cornish Pastie, African and Arabian spices and cooking techniques, as well as the Spanish Empanada, each patty is a taste of history.
- 2 Cups flour; all purpose
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric salt
- 2/3 Cup shortening or butter; cold, diced
- ice water or
- 1 egg; lightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion; finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic; finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef; lean
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 Cup bread crumbs, dry
- 1/2 Cup chicken stock; or water
- 2 green onions; finely chopped
- Heat oil in large heavy skillet. Add onions and garlic. Cook, stirring till onion wilts. Add ground meat. Cook, stirring until meat is browned and combined with onions. Sprinkle with curry, salt and pepper. Cook about 5 minutes. Stir in breadcrumbs and stock or water. Cook, stirring often, about 20 minutes. Mixture should be thick but not dry. Stir in green onions.
- Make pastry by combining flour with tumeric and salt. Cut in butter or shortening until in tiny bits. Add water; gather into a ball. Roll out to about 1/4-inch thickness and cut into 4-inch circles. Gather remaining dough together and lightly cut out again.
- Place about 1 Tablespoon filling on each circle. Brush edges with lightly beaten egg, fold over and seal.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place patties on cookie sheets lined with aluminum foil. Brush lightly with remaining lightly beaten egg.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes till browned.
MAKES: Approx 30 Patties These can be made ahead and frozen.
This truly simple recipe produces outstanding results every time, with perfect rice to accompany all...
At New Year's Eve, there are few things more special than Blini with Caviar and Creme Fraiche.
Mushroom Rarebit is an ideal snack for mums-to-be. Mushrooms contain the B vitamin niacin, which hel...
Ptichye Moloko is a rich, delectable Russian dessert ideal for the flavors of the season of renewed ...