Jager-Eintopf (Hunter's Stew)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 1 1/2 Cups onions; minced
- 1/4 pound mushrooms; sliced
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground beef; coarse grind *
- 1 Cup beef broth
- 5/8 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 potatoes; medium
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs; large
- 4 apples; tart
- 1/2 Cup bread crumbs; fine, dry
- * Ground beef should only be ground once and be the leanest you can get.
- In a frypan saute onions and mushrooms in vegetable oil until soft. Add ground beef; saute mixture 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in broth; bring to a simmer. Add 1/2 Tablespoons nutmeg, Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 Tablespoons salt, and 1/4 Tablespoons pepper.
- Peel the potatoes and boil them in salted water until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and put through a food mill or grinder.
- Beat in 2 Tablespoons butter, 1/2 Tablespoons salt, 1/4 Tablespoons pepper. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Beat in eggs and remaining nutmeg.
- Peel, core, and slice apples.
- Layer mixtures in a 1 1/2-quart buttered baking dish. Spread 1/3 of potatoes on bottom of dish. Top with 1/2 of the meat mixture and 1/2 of the apples. Continue with layers, ending with a layer of potatoes.
- Sprinkle the top with bread crumbs, and dot with remaining butter.
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 45 minutes and then at 400 degrees F. for 10 minutes more.