This pasta sauce is not a typical Italian tomato sauce with meat, but a meat sauce with vegetables. It is surprising, delicious and perfect with pasta.
Italian Meat Sauce
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Sauces
Serves: 5 Cups (8 to 10)
- 1/4 Cup butter
- 1/2 Cup oil, olive
- 1 1/2 Cups onion; finely chopped
- 1 Cup carrots; grated
- 1/2 Cup celery; finely chopped
- 2 1/2 Cups mushrooms; finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons parsley; finely chopped
- 2 pounds beef, lean ground
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 Cup wine, red
- 3 1/2 Cups beef broth
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- oregano, to taste
- garlic, to taste
- Combine butter and oil in large frypan and heat. Add onions and saute for one minute. Add carrots, celery, mushrooms and parsley; cook, stirring frequently for 5 min.
- Crumble in ground beef and cook, stirring frequently until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle flour over the ground beef and stir until well blended. Stir in puree.
- Add wine gradually, stirring constantly. Add the broth and season with spices as desired. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour or until thickened. Serve with pasta. Makes approximately five cups sauce.