A wonderful skillet dish, full of wonderful flavors and textures to please any palate.
Italian Beef and Rice Skillet
Author: Beverly Mills, with Alicia Ross
Recipe type: One-Pot Meals
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked seasoned ground beef (about Cups) from "Brown and Bag" recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 package sliced fresh mushrooms (8 ounces)
- 1 can beef broth (14 1/2 ounces)
- 1 can tomato soup (10 3/4 ounces)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14 1/2 ounces)
- 2 1/4 Cups quick-cooking rice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 Cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Open frozen bag of seasoned ground beef, place on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 3 minutes to begin thawing.
- Meanwhile, heat oil over medium-high heat in an extra-deep nonstick skillet that has a lid. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring from time to time, until mushrooms release their liquid, about 3 1/2 minutes.
- Add beef broth and tomato soup; raise heat to high. Stir until soup is well combined. Add partially thawed beef, diced tomatoes, rice and Italian seasoning. Stir well.
- Cover skillet; let mixture boil until rice is tender and absorbs most of the broth, about 7 minutes. Stir from time to time, keeping skillet covered as much as possible. (If rice begins to stick, reduce heat as necessary.) Sprinkle cheese over mixture. Cover; cook 1 to 2 minutes or just until the cheese melts. Serve at once.
- Yields 6 servings.