Irish Sausages are another major staple of the cuisine of the Emerald Isle. They’re high in fat content, but incredibly delicious.
Irish Sausages, more commonly known in Ireland as Bangers are delicious, particularly when served with Colcannon, Bubble and Squeak or simple mashed potatoes and brown sauce.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds lean pork
- 8 ounces pork fat; without gristle
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly-ground pepper
- 1 pinch dried sage or marjoram
- 1 ounce white breadcrumbs; (optional)
- 1 ground ginger; mace, nutmeg
- cayenne pepper
- Mince (grind) the meat and fat twice, then mix very well and season. (Fry a teaspoon or so each time to check the flavor until you get it the way you like it.)
- Add the herbs and breadcrumbs and any spices used.
- Fill skins as usual.
We've tried grinding the meat in a food processor, but without much success. An electric meat grinder works, but the simplest hand cranked one is best.
Serving size: per serving Calories: 367 Fat: 38g (94% calories from fat) Carbohydrates: 1g Sodium: 544mg Protein: 4g Cholesterol: 53mg