They grow great peas in Iowa, making this a very tasty dish. The buttery flavor of the peas pairs perfectly with the smoky richness of the almonds. The dressing, made with curry goes beautifully with all the ingredients for a spectacular salad.
- 16-ounces fresh petite peas (preferably from Iowa)
- 6 ounces smokehouse almonds, rinsed to take off the excess salt, chopped (preferably by hand)
- 1/2 Cup chopped green onions
- 8 ounces chopped water chestnuts
- 2/3 Cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine the peas, green onions, almonds, and water chestnuts. Mix together the mayonnaise and curry powder in a separate bowl.
- Gently fold the mayonnaise mixture into peas. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.