Individual Steak and Mushroom Wellingtons is one of the best recipes of the season, its rich flavors are complimented by a delicate, crunchy pastry crust, encasing a lively, tasty combination of pâté, beef, mushroom and herbs.
- 15 ounces frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 x 5 ounce pieces of Filet Mignon steaks
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces (plus) Cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons minced shallots
- 1/2 Tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 4 sprigs of thyme, leaves only
- 2 Tablespoons dried porcini mushrooms, soaked and roughly chopped
- 1 Tablespoon porcini oil (optional)
- 4 ounces chicken liver pâté
- 2 Tablespoons English mustard
- 1 egg, beaten
- Unwrap the pastry and cut into 4 8-inch x 8-inch squares. Heat 1/2 Tablespoon oil in a frying pan. Sear the steaks for 3 minutes on each side then set aside.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in the pan. Add the garlic, Cremini mushrooms and shallots and gently fry for 15 minutes. Stir in the parsley, thyme, porcini mushrooms and porcini oil. Season and leave to cool, then combine with the chicken liver pâté.
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees F/230 degrees C/gas 8 (210 degrees C for fan ovens). Brush each steak with mustard, season, then place on the lower half of a pastry square, leaving a 1-inch border around the edge. Top with a quarter of the mushroom pâté mixture and fold the flap of pastry over the top. Brush the edges with beaten egg and seal to make a parcel. Use a floured fork to crimp the edges.
- Transfer to a lightly oiled baking sheet and brush with the remaining beaten egg. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until golden. Rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Whether you use this to top your burgers or on a pizza, you will adore the sweet, aromatic flavor of...
Cumin-Spiced Roast Chicken with Currant-Fegato Sauce, Toasted Almonds and Chives is one glorious dis...
For an extraordinary, unusual, and delicious soup, try our Fennel Bisque with Dublin Bay Prawns. Ser...
Cold soups are favorites of mine because they capture the essential flavors of the ingredients, are ...