This slightly sour Hungarian Cherry Soup tastes best in the warmth of spring and summer and is easy to prepare. The dish is tasty and refreshing; it cools and hydrates.
- 1 pound morello cherries, pitted, pits and stems reserved
- 3 Cups Riesling or other dry white wine
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 1 inch stick cinnamon
- 2 lemons, 1 peeled and the peel reserved, both squeezed
- 1/2 Cup Brandy (optional)
- 2 Cups sour cream
- Crush a few of the cherries, then put them, with the pits and stems, into a pan with the wine, sugar, cinnamon stick and the juice of both lemons and peel of one. Simmer for 5 minutes, then leave to steep for at least 15 minutes.
- Strain, bring back to a boil and add the remaining cherries and their juice.
- Remove from the heat immediately. Stir in the brandy.
- Put the sour cream into a tureen, then gradually pour in the cherry soup, mixing thoroughly.
- May be served chilled or hot.
Lemon Cornmeal Cake with Mascarpone Sauce and Blueberries is a delightful summertime dessert. The f...
Named for our publisher's niece, Olivia, this exceptional and flavorful barbecue sauce is perfect fo...
Sfogliatelle are extraordinary pastries are found in every Italian bakery from Alaska to Zambia. A f...
Many a great seafood soup starts with a well-made Crab Stock. This recipe is one of the best we've m...